I dedicated 6 pages to my Paper works (A5 Page) and printed some images to go along with my documentation as well.

I intend to do my Paper works by day.

Day 1: Coming up with the shape of the leaf.
Initial technique was to fold an A4 into basic pleats, then pull out the edges a little to create the curvature of the spine. We tried to form a big leaf using multiple sheets of basic pleats but Chin Keong wanted it to be a seamless piece. Hence he suggested cutting the edges of the sheet of basic pleat to a leaf shape.
That was the basis to our shape.

Also when trying to think of ways to turn water droplets into its graphical form, I have decided to type “Water Splash” into Google. From there I thought of turning it into a graphical form because I knew to turn a water droplet into a graphical and paper form would be tough. I happen to chance upon [Black img with cut angles] and noticed the resemblance to the water splash. Hence I observed the angles and decided to put it into our leaf.

Day 2: We practiced making the leaf with different paper sizes. An A4 paper created a leaf that was comfortable in size, A5 was a little too miniature and A3 was large enough to give a sense of fullness. We consulted Tito and he mentioned that he was happy with the overall leaf shape and the angles of the droplets may be too harsh. Also we should be experimenting with different paper grammages and colours/textures.
Hence we made our way to Fancy Paper and picked a few pieces of paper with varying grammages.

Also since the leaf structure is great, I unfolded the leaf and redrew the angles at which the lines were bent so that I can recreate the template.

Day 3: Chin Keong managed to come up with a digital template overnight. He altered the angles to allow the bend of the spine. I also tried to experiment with larger angles but did not work as well as his.

We printed our templates on the paper bought and begun scoring on the papers. We noticed that 150gsm was really easy to fold and was neat but did not open up like a leaf. 186gsm-200gsm was quite comfortable to work with and finally 250 gsm paper took a lot of effort to fold. It was tougher to score.

Day 4: Time is running out!!! We are trying different paper colours now. Other than white and cream white we introduced red and black to our paper structure to see how it would fit. We were also thinking of how the leaf should be attached to each other. I am glad we are doing dozens of prototypes in varying sizes and textures because we were able to feel and physically arrange all the leaves. Whenever we were satisfied with one we would capture a photo of it.
[Insert our different arrangements]

Day 5: Every single day our routine has become like this:
Reach School at 9:30-10am
Go to Fancy Paper to get paper
Work on the prototype, composition etc.
Eat
Go to Fancy Paper again to buy more paper
Go to printing shop to print the template on the paper
Continue working on the prototype…
This literally repeated for 5 days.

We are working on our visual boards now, a little too late hehe.. Coming up with content first before doing up a layout.
Day 6: We need a base!! The base was really tough to cut but Chin Keong managed to do it! My classmates and I noticed that he had the innate flare for precision work. He could score, fold and cut paper accurately and neatly. Even our circular base had a template for it. We have somewhat decided to abort the use of other colours and was advised by our classmates to use brilliant white for our paper because it is what suits Kenya Hara best. However my teammates and I were concerned about how plain and empty the paper structure looked. Hence we thought long and hard about what we could add. When looking through our moodboards, I noticed that CK has done embossing as a texture. If we embossed on the leaf it would destroy the image of purity of the leaf. Hence we embossed on the base instead. The shape we chose was as such because it was interesting how a leaf and a water droplet was vastly dissimilar yet both bear such similar shapes and curvature.

Day 7: Extremely dissatisfied with the visual board and we need to submit it soon!! I realized that there were creases in the leaf spine.. which was unacceptable because Kenya Hara’s works were so polished and perfect! Today we remake a new leaf and attach the leaf to the base and trim the edges of the leaf…carefully.

Advertisements