Date of lesson: 5/10/16
A day before, 8 of us were shopping for the materials needed for bookbinding. We decided to shop tgt and share the materials to save cost and we really did save a lot of money! We went to Dhoby Ghaut because there was all 3 of a designer’s haven there: Art Friend, Spotlight and Daiso.
We managed to search for alternatives to a needle tool, buy cheaper glue and get bigger greyboards to share. However we had most trouble searching for the correct thread to use for binding.
We heard that the actual binding thread is very expensive and hard to get in Singapore(My lecturer only got it from Spain!) Either did we have the time to try our luck at the textile shops at Haji Lane. Hence we settled for just normal thread.
Also to save cost, we decided against a bone folding tool.
On the day..
We were told to take 20 pieces of A4 paper and to fold it into half. When using my barehands to fold, I realized how creases formed easily on thin paper, and how I have to reduce as much contact as the paper when folding without a bone folding tool.
FUN FACT: In the past bone folding tool were really made of the leg bone of cows and deers as they left the least residue on the workpiece. Thankfully it is made of plastic now!
Then we had to arrange the papers in 5 signatures, 4 pieces per signature. We learnt that a SIGNATURE is a term used in book binding to refer to a SET.
Then we measured out the lines on the paper: 3-4-7-4-3 cm and used a needle tool to gently poke holes into our paper (AND THE CUTTING MATT ): )
The technique to do so was to aim the needle at the desired spot and ensure that it is perpendicular to the paper and not slanted. Tap onto the back of the tool once to puncture a hole into the paper.
The purpose of doing so is to facilitate the needle and thread through the paper.
Our lecturers were kind to share their threads with us. I received a piece of kite flying string which was wonderful as compared to my very normal sewing thread. However I noticed that the ends of the threads unwound very easily. Hence showing how important it was that the threads were waxed.
(in the end the class ordered thread from Taobao hehe.)
We threaded it (show img)
and knotted it
and finally we tied it and glue..